Curtis Lee Collins
45 Collins Drive, Olanta PA 16863
· Bachelor’s Degree in Fisheries Biology from Mansfield University.
· High School Diploma from Clearfield Area High School.
· Fisheries Biology major with fisheries related courses.
· Advisor: Dr. Gregory Moyer.
Relevant Field and Equipment Experience
· 2017 summer internship as an Engineering Scientific and Technical Intern with the Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Clean Water, Water Quality Division. (May 2017-August 2017)
· Conducted comprehensive waterbody surveys as needed for monitoring and assessment of surface water of the commonwealth. Assisted permanent staff members with maintaining water quality monitoring.
· Followed standard DEP protocols for surveying methods such as electrofishing, water chemistry, and SOND field meter maintenance.
· Spent summer internship using backpack, towboat, and riverboat electrofishing methods to collect data for fish health assessment, predator-prey relation, recreational fish populations, fish consumption, and IBI.
· Also conducted water chemistry collections, field meter maintenance, quality assuring macroinvertebrate data in GIS, and float picking macroinvertebrates from samples for identification.
· Skilled in fisheries surveying methods such as three pass depletion, mark/recapture, tissue collection, abundance estimation, backpack/boat/towboat electrofishing (certified through American Fisheries Society), and otolith collection and aging.
· Fish, macroinvertebrate, and aquatic vegetation identification with proficient use of taxonomic keys.
· Experience with using equipment such as seine nets, kick nets, trap nets, HANNA probe, YSI multi field meter, microscopes, Van Dorn sampler, Surber/Hess Sampler, and other sampling/water parameter tools.
· Proficient with processors such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and R commander to analyzing data such as relative weights and abundances.
· Gained experience with GIS: worked with DEP application SIS and ISIS.
· Conducted research based on observations made during summer internship with the DEP. Observed that some shorthead redhorse (Moxostoma macrolepidotum) from the North, West, and main sections of the Susquehanna River had physical characteristics that did not match those of normal shorthead. I proceeded to collect shorthead redhorse from Susquehanna River system using boat electrofishing to take select meristic and morphometric measurements of each specimen. These measurements were analyzed in comparison to measurements from reference shortheads to determine if there was significant difference among known shorthead redhorse and those found in the Susquehanna. Future surveying, which will be continued by PA DEP central office, could conclude a different species of rerdhorse that was not recorded in the location or new subspecies.
Other Experiences and Volunteer Work
· Member of Mansfield University Fisheries Club and previously member of Clearfield Area High School Watershed Club.
· Volunteer backpack electrofishing with Tennessee Great Smokey Mountains National Park Services for native brook trout surveying, 2016.
· Volunteer fish habitat building at Cowanesque Lake, 2014.
· Volunteer stream clean up at Mosquito Creek 2013 and Montgomery Run 2012
· Volunteer river clean up at West Branch Susquehanna River 2011.
· Trout in the classroom participant 2012, 2013, and 2014.
· Numerous other volunteer services with college and high school baseball team.
Honors and scholarships
· Cumulative 3.0 GPA.
· High honor graduate.
· MAC housing scholarship of $1000 and William Garmin scholarship.
· U.S citizen with valid driver’s license.
· Clean driving and personal record.
· Physically fit with ability to do various physical activities.
· Valid boater’s license.
· Bank account with direct deposit.
· Experience with operating various equipment such as forklifts and other tools.
Previous Work Experience
· 5/8/18-7/12/18: Reed Brothers Equipment and Tool Rentals
· 5/15/17-8/18/17: Summer internship with Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
· 2014-2017: Seasonal employee at Clearfield, Pa Walmart Super Center
Dr. Greg Moyer
Mansfield University fisheries professor
Phone: (570) 662-4535
Michael “Josh” Lookenbill
DEP internship supervisor
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (717) 451-7904
DEP Central Office Fisheries Biologist/ PA American Fisheries Society President
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (814) 360-1999