· Experienced in product development, commercialization, and application support for silicone materials into the consumer goods, health-care, and automotive industries.
· Experienced in project management and production scale-up of new silicone products
· Hands-on experience in rubber compounding, characterization, and physical property testing.
· Masters degree in Organic Chemistry concentrated in Polymer Science from Virginia Tech.
· Extensive cross-functional team experience, both as leader and participant.
· Experienced in supervision, training and development of R&D personnel.
Professional Work History:
Jamestown Community College Jamestown, NY
Adjunct Chemistry Professor
Instructed Allied Health Chemistry and Introduction to Chemistry courses.
Nextec Applications, Inc. Vista, CA
Product Development Engineer
· Doubled product line in 5 months by introducing three new products for the apparel industry.
· Applied Stage-Gate process and formal project management in developing new products.
· Interacted with marketing and production in assuring focused product development.
· Provided technical expertise to internal and external customers.
Sr. Product and Process Chemist
· Enabled major product line through development of a silicone compound with targeted characteristics.
· Reduced raw material costs by 20% through co-development programs with major silicone rubber suppliers
· Reduced manufacturing costs by 30% through innovations in process and silicone raw materials.
· Increased mixing productivity by 75% by managing project to upgrade production mixing equipment, establishing procedures, and training manufacturing personnel.
Nextec Applications, Inc. Sr. Product and Process Chemist (cont.)
· Maintained plant-wide quality of silicones, incoming and in-process
– Established specifications and standard test procedures
– Devised handling guidelines
– Defined in-process production testing procedures.
· Supervised and scheduled product development and research technicians.
· Provided silicone rubber material and process expertise to marketing, R&D
General Electric Silicones Waterford , NY
Advanced Product Development Chemist, Heat Cured Elastomers Technology
· Developed fluoro- and methyl silicone rubber products for consumer goods,
health-care, and automotive markets.
· Increased first-time pass rate from 75% to 95% through technical support to
fluorosilicone rubber manufacturing.
· Reduced out-of-spec inventory of inputs by 85%.
· Reduced cycle times by 30% and enhanced customer processibility through
the use of innovative manufacturing processes.
· Led and participated in cross-functional teams to resolve product and process
· Led cultural diversity committee for the technology organization. Redesigned
workshop structure and provided training for the organization at one third the
Degree- Masters of Science
Major- Organic Chemistry concentrated in Synthetic Polymer Chemistry
Advisor- Dr. James McGrath
State University of New York at Fredonia
Degree- Bachelor of Science
Major- Chemistry (ACS Certified), Minor- Psychology