ERNEST MC MILLAN
8 Whittle Street Gordon’s Bay — South Africa 0715221478
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER
Advanced Institute of Personnel Management Diploma (South Africa), with additional diplomas in Industrial Relations from University of the Witwatersrand and Damelin Management School. Further studies and accredited Assessor and Skills Development Facilitator. Extensive background in HR generalist affairs in multi-cultural and international environments.
Including experience in employee recruitment and retention, staff development, mediation, conflict resolution, benefits and compensation, HR records management, HR policies development and legal compliance, for large organizations over multiple sites.
Skills in developing training programs, and writing personnel manuals, corporate policies, job descriptions and management reports.
• HR Department Startup
• Employment Law
• Mediation & Arbitration
• HRIS Technologies
• Skills Development • Staff Recruitment & Retention
• Employee Relations
• Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
• Benefits Administration
• HR Program/Project Management
• Job Grading and salary scales • Orientation & On-Boarding
• Training & Development
• Performance Management
• Organizational Development
• HR Policies & Procedures
HR Consultant on the Mopani Copper Mine.
From July 2015 to December 2016. The main focus of the project was to:
• Design and implement a labour reporting system.
• Performance management system aligned to the 10 year plan, with specific KPI’s and measurement tools.
• Implementation of a labour budgeting and costing system for 12 000 employees.
SRK (Malawi) Ltd. – Blantyre
SRK are the Consulting Engineers, responsible for building the Nacala Rail Project in Malawi.
HR Manager — April 2013 to July 2015.
I was the HR Manager in Blantyre, responsible for the entire HR function in Malawi for the Nacala Rail Project. This essentially was the interface HR role for the Malawi operation. This position reported in to the Managing Director based in Johannesburg.
NATIONAL PROJECTS AND CONSTRUCTION. – ROYAL GROUP.
A design and build construction company operating in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
HR Operations Manager — June 2008 to September 2012.
Managed the entire Human Resources function for 7000 employees. This was an all-encompassing HR Management role.
ACCESS SHIPPING AND DAMEN SHIPYARD
December 2007 to May 2008 – Contract position
Responsible for the training and establishment of a Human Resources department, at the DAMEN Shipyard in Cape Town. DAMEN is a Dutch ship building company, who recently invested in a ship building yard in Cape Town.
Developing skills development plans as well as training plans.
Implementing HR procedures and policies
Training Manager — January 2005 to November 2007
Responsible for the entire training function and accreditation process with the relevant bodies as a training provider. The function served a staff complement of 1000 employees. This was an outbound call center.
• Development and implementation of the performance management system.
• Determine the training needs of the various departments and develop and source required training courses.
• Manage the recruitment process in terms of manpower needs of the organization, and provide initial training for new staff.
• Act as chairman for disciplinary hearings on an ad hoc basis.
• Liaise with Services SETA, in terms of WSP and registration requirements of a training provider.
• Compiled the Work Place Skills Plan and Annual Training report.
• Ensure that there are the required career paths determined for all management and supervisory staff.
• Provide management advice in terms of training and labour legislation.
• Manage the training and recruitment budgets and staff.
• Developed and presented training courses.
SERVICES SETA CAREER CENTRE.
Skills Development Facilitator — October 2000 to December 2004
Worked with the assessment of Learner ships, and Skills Development Facilitator (SDF) functions for the Centre. The function of the Career Centre was to select and manage the learner ship process for the Services SETA in the Western Cape.
• Assessment and selection of candidates for learner ship programs
• Workplace evaluations and assessments.
• Acted as Skills Development Facilitator for organizations participating in learner ship programs.
GRINAKER/SYDCOR ENGINEERING – Mozambique
Human Resources Manager — May 1999 to September 2000.
An 18 month contract position to build an Aluminum Smelter in
Mozambique. Handled the entire human resources function for 600 staff. This position required that I dealt with both Mozambican and South African labour law. This was a varied generalist position.
• Labour Law, in terms of managing the local and ex-pat labour force in terms of a Project Labour Agreement.
• Project Manpower Plan.
• Recruitment and selection for all staff.
• Training and assessment of skills in terms of the project skills plan.
• Wage administration. Managed the payroll on the Pay wise payroll system.
HR Consultant — July 1996 to April 1999.
• Nigerian Brewery
• Cadbury Schweppes International in Lagos — Nigeria.
• Trans Hex Mining.
• Witbank Coal Mine.
• Noan Limited.
Development and presentation of the following courses;
• First Line Management
• Middle Management.
• Industrial Relations.
• Coaching skills.
• Problem Solving.
Consulted to various employers on I.R. issues, including CCMA representation who were members of COFESA. Also drafted, trained and implemented disciplinary codes, grievance procedures and work place codes of conduct, for various employers.
Compiled a work design and job performance system for Nigerian Brewery. Also developed a Human Resources strategic plan.
WESTERN DEEP LEVELS GOLD MINE.
Human Resources Manager. — September 1986 to December 1995
This was a generalist position. Responsible for the entire H.R. function for this large gold mine with some 14 000 employees. This was a management role and required more strategic input from a HR aspect for the operation.
• Human resources administration.
• Training, which entailed the entire workforce from induction, specific skills development and supervisory/management programs.
• Industrial Relations, from ensuring that the disciplinary code implementation to the negotiation of recognition agreements for various unions.
• Recruitment, ensuring that the workforce was adequately manned at the required levels.
• Organizational development and change planning, for various projects.
GOLD FIELDS OF SA LIMITED.
Senior Human Resources Officer. — February 1979 to September 1986
I started my working career with Gold Fields and was trained in all aspects of the H.R. discipline. My first 2 years was an internship and introduction to the HR discipline.
• Recruitment, of staff in all disciplines of the operations.
• Disciplinary procedures.
• Induction training.
• HR administration.
Date of Birth: 3 November 1959
Nationality : South African.
Languages : English and Afrikaans.
1. Intermediate IPM Diploma – May 1983.
2. Advanced IPM Diploma – October 1985.
3. Damelin IR Diploma – August 1986.
4. Wits Business School IR Diploma – February 1989.
5. Assessors Diploma – November 2003.
6. Skills Development Facilitators Diploma – October 2004.
1. Mr. Lyndon Gloag HR Director – Grinaker/Sydcor
South African Mobile number – 083 2677909.
2. Mr. Peter Labrum Managing Director – SRK Consulting,
South African Mobile Number 082 6005976