(416) 762-9947 JANICE E. LONGEWAY [email protected]
An experienced administrative professional with an extensive legal background. Highly organized with a problem solving and critical thinking aptitude, now seeking to apply a myriad of organizational skills combined with genuine interest and a view for excellence. Possesses the attributes expected from well-honed, varietal experience and the ability to maneuver in fluctuating, evolving environments with grace.
Administrative Roles – various Employment Agencies
Continuous Administrative temporary placements
Administration Office Support – Amec Foster Wheeler
August 2017 – December 2017 – contract
· Assistant to the Project Supervisor in an office relocation to 3 separate locations
· Managing/prioritizing/allocating/purging files by department or individual
· Liaison with team leaders re: progressive step schedules and duty expectations
· Providing all staff with assistance as required for the move and follow-up on due dates
· Attending weekly team meetings for progress update and re-strategizing
· Coordinating with professional movers and packers for a variety of moves at different stages
· Coordinating shredding facilities; creating pick-up schedules changing bi-weekly
· Coordinating garbage collections as frequently changing needs arose
· Facilitating with Operations/IT removals and set-ups in new both existing and new locations
· Reporting to senior management with progress reports
Administrative Assistant – ICHA, Inner City Health Associates, Toronto
January 2016 – May 2016 – contract
Assistant to the Executive Director
Meetings Coordinator/Minuter – on and off-site
Administrative Assistant – Sickkids Hospital, Toronto
February 2015 – September 2015 – Department of Paediatric Laboratory Medicine – contract
Assistant to Department of Paediatric Laboratory Medicine
Onboarding of Fellows/students, HR liaison
Calendar management and Events/conference coordinator
Coordinate department meetings with minuting
Financial reconciliations of travel expenses, invoices, staffing contracts etc.
Procurement using Kidtrac
Electronic/paper filing, scanning, faxing, photocopying & sundry office procedures
Legal Administrative Assistant – Joseph Bloomenfeld Law, Toronto
April 2013 – October 2013 –– Maternity Leave Contract
Assistant to chief counsel in criminal law.
Office management, Ontario and Superior court correspondence and communication daily.
Client communication, liaison and scheduling.
Calendar management, court and interview bookings,
Billings, payroll, correspondence, document production, hard and electronic file management and all office administration.
In-House Administrative Legal Assistant – D+H LP, (formerly Davis & Henderson) Toronto
May 2011 – February 2012 –- Contract
Assistant to the legal department in a financial, customer service industry.
Contract management, revision
Reporting to the CFO and for the EVP’s, legal, sales and operations departments.
Supervision of the migration of a hard filing, to a soft filing system in preparation for a new document management initiative
Hire and supervision of support staff
Creation/maintenance of workflow and due date reports.
On and off-site meeting coordination
Litigation Assistant- Hughes Amys LLP, Toronto
November 2009 – April 2010
Application of the Rules for Civil Procedure; production, serving and filing of court documents, correspondence, filing, research and administrative duties.
Trade Mark & Financial Law Assistant – Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP, Toronto
July 2007– January 2009
Assisting senior partner with large practice preparing client and Trade Mark Office correspondence
Calendar maintenance, due date tickler, file management
Trade mark search coordination.
Knowledge of CIPO, CIRA, USPTO, WHOIS etc. sites.
Assisting senior partner with Financial Corporate/Commercial.
Entire administration of calendar, docketing, special projects and litigation file maintenance, closing documentation and client correspondence.
2002 – 2007 Self-employed
Operated as an independent artist in self-owned gallery/studio and represented by professional art dealer throughout south-western Ontario.
Contracts: 1999 – 2002, Toronto & Waterloo
Litigation Assistant – Hobson, Taylor, Oldfield, Greaves & D’Agostino, Kitchener
1 year maternity leave contract assisting one partner in Agricultural law practice
Preparation of litigation documents, client/professional correspondence, file maintenance, client liaison and dockets/billings.
Legal Assistant, Immigration Law – Government of Canada, Toronto
Repeat contracts for the Dept. of Justice and Civil Law (Attorney General’s Office)
Preparing draft motions, affidavits, factums and correspondence, court filings, office file maintenance and due date management.
Legal Assistant -Baker & McKenzie,Toronto
Repeat contracts in the Labour & Employment division supporting various partners/associates, responsible for correspondence, dicta typing, filing, time docketing and client services.
Paralegal / Office Manager – Immigration Law – Malik Zaman & Associates Ltd.,Toronto
1998 to 1999
· prepared and filed Federal Court Appeal documents for litigation proceedings with the Trial Division, i.e. Notice of Application, Notice of Motion, Affidavits, Discontinuance, Notices, Applicants’ Records, Factums
· Studied and applied Federal Court Rules (as revised April, 1998)
· Used Immigration Law Partner to support factum preparation
· Client liaison in Canada and abroad.
· Personnel administration
· Managed downsizing of Canadian office of 17 employees to 5 until closure
· All office administration including client liaison, office maintenance contracts and accounts payable,
Legal Assistant –Intellectual Property Law – Bereskin & Parr, Toronto
1993 to 1997
Provided all administration and legal support for one lawyer
Desk prioritization, client liaison, billings, correspondence
Handled day-to-day issues relating to trade-mark law in Canada and abroad, including trade-mark searches of U.S. and Canadian trade-marks
Prepared trade-mark applications, initiated opposition matters for clients and foreign associates.
Created precedent files for all Trade-mark Registry correspondence.
Education– 1980 – 1982
Carleton University, Ottawa – Major in Journalism/Minor Art History & English Literature
MS Office Suite, MailChimp, Doodle, Law Partner, Excel, Legal Integrations Inc., Divorce Mate, Internet, Carswell, PCLaw, DMS, etc.
Accomplishments – Published : Poetry Exhibited : Paintings
Assets & Interests
· Reliable, multi-tasker, resourceful and creative · Fine arts, culinary arts, natural sciences and humanitarian endeavours, WSPA , tennis, gardening