3331 Credit Heights Drive, Mississauga ON L5C 2M1
416 312 4822 [email protected] LinkedIn
SENIOR CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS LEADER
I am recognized as a creative, inspiring, versatile communications leader with a bias for embracing change and going beyond the status quo. I bring the thought leadership, talent and experience to drive engagement and results for company programs across audiences and geographies — in a highly compelling way.
Senior Manager, Internal and Change Communications, 2017 to 2018
· Responsible for developing and executing annual communications/change plan with 1 – 3 year view.
· Built strategy and employee engagement plan successfully launching new CSA Connect global intranet including skin, user testing, content sustainability strategy, functionality, training and governance.
· Partnered with senior executives and developed communications/change strategy, messages and products in support of goals: IT, HR, training, member communications.
· Partnered with Legal to develop a new template, process and online access to all global Policies driving adherence and mitigating risk.
· Chaired newly formed global Communications Governance committee to drive consistency in messages and new program roll-out across sites and established new “Connectors Network” throughout business.
· Gatekeeper &/or author for all internal materials. Created new standout digital identity.
· Maintained brand compliance and message continuity compliance in all materials and repaired gaps.
HORIZON UTILITIES CORPORATION
Director, Corporate Communications, 2013 – 2016
· Developed all aspects of corporate communications annual plan and inspired team to apply best practices across employee engagement, digital experience, crisis response, public relations, events, sponsorships.
· Reconstituted the company social media strategy exponentially increasing engagement measured by followers and traffic metrics.
· Built and executed employee engagement plans to support IT launches: Document Management, Cyber Security, website cutover including AODA compliance and crisis dark site.
· Supported Regulatory Affairs: Designed and supervised the flawless execution of a stakeholder/customer engagement plan in support of filing the first 4-year rate application with Ontario Energy Board including Plan, Messages, FAQ, customer survey, ads, social/traditional media, website and employee/customer consultation.
· Provided strategic counsel to CEO, VPs, peer Directors and actively served on executive team, senior leadership team and external committees (CEA EDA)
· Proactively leveraged social media to support call center, field staff and employees to protect corporate reputation.
· As company spokesperson, proactively pursued opportunities to enhance corporate reputation at conferences, industry events, award presentations, first responder community events and charity sponsorships.
· As Emergency Operations Communications lead and Municipal Liaison triaged the crisis communications process and served as company spokesperson for issues, major incidents (2013 ice storm).
· Built and executed multi-phased Merger communications strategy, plan and materials which became the blueprint for all four entities. Outreach included extensive Ministry and Mayoral relations, media engagement, stakeholder/public consultation/focus groups and social media.
· Successfully oversaw the creative development and marketing of the Triple Bottom Line/GRI Sustainability-based Annual Report/MD&A and “Just Ask Us” Conservation campaign – won 2 International Gold MarCom awards in 2014.
· Reinvented company Brand Standard and Style Guide and modernized website, intranet, ads, bill inserts.
ENBRIDGE GAS DISTRIBUTION
Manager, Internal Stakeholder Communications, 2010 to 2013
Assumed additional External Manager Duties, 2012
· Directed all aspects of annual plan/calendar including: Crisis Response, Leader Tool Kits, brand governance, Town Hall events, website, United Way, Ride to Conquer Cancer, donations and executive counsel.
· Built high-performing team and developed award-winning $3M natural gas safety campaign including RFP, agency management and media, online, social, web, cinema, radio creative: www.sixsecondsafety.com.
· Seamlessly transitioned new President through executive blog, key events and an innovative helicopter tour of Operations. Introduced “Viewpoint”, his new newsletter. Approval rating of 85%+.
· As part of Enbridge North American team, artfully launched employee Lifesaving Rules and created the “You are the Face of Safety” campaign for 7,000 employees and 4,000 contractors.
· Created visual identity and tagline “Simply the Best” to define new company vision for employees.
· Launched new company Technology Centre and leveraged Mayor and Minister of Labour to draw media and fortify Enbridge Gas’ reputation as leader in safety.
· Overhauled customer products (bill inserts, direct mail and ads).Approval rating highest in 7 years.
· Developed and launched “instant” twitter contest, including employees, to offset 2011 Canada Post strike getting 10,000 paperless sign ups in 30 days.
ASTRAZENECA CANADA INC.
Internal Communications Manager, 2005 to 2009
Oncology PR Manager Concurrent – 8 months
· As part of marketing team, successfully wrote a marketing plan and developed detail aids based on physician insights uncovered by Environics and InnerSource segmentation data. Managed two agencies and ran engagement/training events for the sales force and all employees.
· As Oncology PR Manager, rapidly developed relationships with numerous external stakeholder and patient advocacy groups that resulted in public awareness regarding drug access, the Sharing Strength patient program, and ZD4054, an emerging prostate compound.
· Working in ambiguity, developed a highly creative, 8-phase employee change management program sustaining momentum for two years. Leader understanding grew 40% in 8 months.
· Supported IT engagement and uptake for new programs: Siebel, Enterprise Data Warehouse.
· Devised and executed strategic communications plan to announce change in company distribution model. Managed all aspects of the plan providing decisive, strategic counsel to Project Team. Earned commendations from client executives for communication deliverables that targeted desired audiences and articulated the value of AstraZeneca products and services.
· Spearheaded scenario planning and role play with Medical Affairs and Marketing leads to prepare them for Health Canada meetings. Key messages, Q&A and supporting materials along with coaching successfully preserved corporate reputation and patient access to Iressa®.
TIBBETT & BRITTEN GROUP AMERICAS
Director, Communications and Marketing, 2003 to 2004
· In this newly created role, directed 2 staff and supported Americas’ business development team through: competitive intelligence, research, marketing, brand development, stakeholder/media relations.
· Devised PR campaign using the Alberta Liquor Board warehouse as a “living lab” testing company’s new RFID technology. An innovative hook and media event resulted in first-ever coverage and a new product for sales force.
· Managed client relationships with: Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart Canada, Gap, P&G, Kimberly-Clark, Kroger, ConAgra, United Grocers, Safeway, Michelin, Smuckers, JCPenney.
· Proactively secured municipal buy-in for new logistics sites by positioning them as economic contributors with local politicians, stakeholders and media.
MDS INC. – (Now Lifelabs)
Director, Internal Communications for HR, 2001 to 2003
· Created a new Communications Council to unify North American operations and promote programs for employees including a new Run, Build Transform change management platform.
· Saved company time, money and resources by leading a cultural shift towards on-line communications and amalgamated several regional newsletters into one North American version.
· Sourced, designed and launched global Portal to 11,000 MDS employees worldwide. Wrote all Portal content and led internationalfocus groups.
· Managed a team of two instilling best practices in key areas such as executive support, translation, email governance, electronic communications, field engagement and strategic planning.
· Seamlessly transitioned the ownership of the Memphis affiliate from the Baptist Memorial Hospital Network to MDS Canada. Developed strategic HR communications plan, key messages, scripts, Run-of-Play to support HR team at employee meetings.
BELL CANADA ENTERPRISES
Manager, Communications & Events Bell World 2000–2001
Communications Consultant, Bell Canada, 1999–2000
Project Manager – e-media Group, Bell Canada, 1998–1999
· Developed employee events and contests to extend reach of BCE properties: Bell Canadian Open, TIFF, Camp Oochigeas, Shaw Festival, Mike Bullard Show, Air Canada Centre.
· Partnered with business leads to drive employee engagement for Smart Touch, Sympatico and SAP launches
· Developed the concept “All Under One e-Roof” successfully launching Bell’s first e-commerce capability.
· Delivered strategic marketing/PR programs that consistently exceeded scorecard communications metrics across 6 customer segments for Ontario SVP, VP and 8 Program Directors
· In 3 months, executed cascade plan and Leaders’ Playbook to merge Bell Mobility and Bell Canada companies successfully driving stakeholder engagement.
· Managed a team to deliver marketing/PR programs/events including franchise cross-promotions to drive store traffic and sales growth.
UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO – Honours Bachelor of Arts: English Specialist/French Minor
RYERSON POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY – Certificate in Advertising
Niagara Institute Leadership Development 2002
Niagara Institute Change Management 2006
Rotman Marketing Foundations 2007
Queen’s Leadership 2012
BSI Crisis Response 2012
French fluency • Competitive Master’s Swimming• Trumpeter • Golf• IABC