Applying as a Temporary Foreign Worker in Canada

Temporary Foreign Workers in Canada

Thousands of foreign employees enter Canada every year to work temporarily and to assist Canadian employers in labor challenges. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) ensure that these employees support economic growth and create more opportunities for all Canadian job seekers.

Applying as a Temporary Foreign Worker

Foreign workers working in Canada temporarily can be either:

  • Permanent residents
  • Non migrant Canadian citizens

Canadian employers encounter labour challenges by hiring foreign workers.

Mostly, foreign workers require work permits from CIC before working. They also need resident visa before arriving in Canada for some countries.

If you are a Temporary Foreign Worker:

  1. For Alberta employer to hire a foreign worker one requires Labour Market Impact Assessment, or LMIA.
  2. Your employer will send you a copy of the LMIA, along with an offer of employment.
  3. Once you have these two documents, you free to apply for a work permit at the designated Canadian visa office.

In some cases, CIC can determine if one can hire without LMIA depending on which job category.

Information for Temporary Foreign Workers in Alberta

Documents needed when one enters and work in Canada:

  • Medical and health insurance
  • Social Insurance code
  • Employment and labour principles

In case you are Temporary Foreign Worker, your employer should be certain that you are covered by medical and fitness insurance. All workers are covered by provincial employment standards and almost all occupations categories in Alberta are enclosed in Occupational Health and Safety but some are not.

The Alberta government provides resources for Temporary Foreign Workers and for employers, e.g.: Temporary Foreign Worker Advisory Offices. Are you a foreigner willing to work in Canada? visit our website to learn more.